Thursday, November 10, 2011

Emily Hodgson

Here are the remaining two pieces from the amazing Emily Hodgson. The first one was posted in September, titled "Boo!"
                                                 THE WOODS
I stumble through the forest. My feet are cut and bleeding. I have been weaving, and now I take a heavy breath and step up onto my hammock. I hear a noise. I try to rest, but I can't control my panic! I become very frantic. I turn around and fall face first onto the ground. When I look up, I see Death! It takes my hand and pulls me up and I get sucked in and that, in fact, is my death!
Emily wrote this piece after our discussion of famous women poets, which included the wonderful Emily Dickinson and her poems about Death. The figure of speech known as "Personification" was introduced to the club. Emily, do you remember I could only recall the first stanza of my favourite of Dickinson's poems, " Because I could not stop for Death"? Well, here it is:


Because I could not stop for Death
by Emily Dickinson

Because I could not stop for Death – 
He kindly stopped for me –  
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –  
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility – 

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring –  
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain –  
We passed the Setting Sun – 

Or rather – He passed us – 
The Dews drew quivering and chill – 
For only Gossamer, my Gown – 
My Tippet – only Tulle – 

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground – 
The Roof was scarcely visible – 
The Cornice – in the Ground – 

Since then – 'tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads 
Were toward Eternity – 
Emily's next piece:                              
"The Water"
I'm on a boat. 
Oh no! It's wet!
I slip.
I hit my head.
I think I'm dead, but how will I ever know?
I think I'm on the brink of death.
"Wake up, please!"
I hear a wail
And I get washed with water thrown over me from a pail.
"Oh my! You're so pale!"
I hear a sweet voice saying,
"I see a doctor with an evil smile on his face, and then I see him transform shape"
Her voice sounds glum.
She takes my hand and I hear a thump.
I squeal in pain.
I wonder if I'm insane.
But then she said "Dead."


It's hard to believe that Emily is only in Grade 5.
Emily, you must keep writing ...for your whole life! You have a sure talent for it. I am so impressed with these three pieces. More please!

No comments:

Post a Comment